I am on my way! I assigned the screencast activity today to my Algebra II students. They were really excited. Not only did I show them how to use Microsoft Equation, which is part of Word, so that they could write out the math problems, I then showed them how to use Jing. Some of the students who had their lap tops in class, immediately downloaded Jing, and started on the process. It is really exciting for me to be able to show my class how to use new technology.
My monitoring will occur as they work on this project. It will be due next Tuesday, so I want to check with each of them to see how it is going. Then I will evaluate the project by using a quick survey.
Another area where I need to use my GAME plan is with my Smart Board. I have been using it now, for a little over a year. I know that there is so much more that I could be doing with it. So...
My Goal: Get some quality time with my colleague who is a Smart Board Pro! I think that I will offer her lunch out, or something, if she will spend a couple of hours with me. I want to know how to get the kids up there and what other cool things that I can do.
Action: Spend some time on line at the Smart Board site to look at some sample lessons and ideas
Monitor: I will go into my classroom once every two weeks this summer to try at least one new thing with my Smart Board
Evaluate: Hopefully the students will notice the changes.
By the way - does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get better? Any good sites that you know have worked? Please share.
A reflections page for my technology classes throughout the school year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How exciting that you used screencast. It sounds like a very meaningful activity. How will the survey measure successful understanding of the content? I've never used surveys as a final assessment so I'm interested in learning more about it.
ReplyDeleteI love your action plan of going over the summer to practice on the smartboard. There is a definite learning curve with interactive white boards. Are you mainly using the lesson plans from Smartboard or are you creating your own?
I think that it is awesome that you have been able to implement this activity with your students and in the current school year. That is extremely exciting and it sounds as if your students will really get quite a bit out of the experience. There are many smartboard sites out their and some podcasts as well. Go to iTunes and sign up for some of the free casts they have about smartboards. What kind of smartboard do you have?
ReplyDeleteKathleen,
ReplyDeleteI am mostly creating my own lessons on the Smart Board, using Power Point Slides. I just think that I could incorporate so much more, if I knew how. That is why I want it to be a plan of mine for the summer.
I am mostly using the survey about the screencast to check to see if they (the students) thought that it was a good way to review the material. I am checking for ease of use, does talking about the problem help with the understanding of the topic, etc.
Thanks, for your questions. Kim
Richard,
ReplyDeleteUmmm, I have no idea - shows how much I know about the whole concepts. I know that I do not have the kind where the projector is a part of it. I agree that there are many Smart Board sites out there, and I just need to spend some time going there to see what is happening. What I have found so far, is that most is for elementary and middle school. But, maybe things will change in the future.
Kim