The course, "New and Emerging Technologies", has taught me a lot about leadership and technology. I walk away with three quotes that have stuck with me since the first week:
• Leadership is "making happen what you believe in"
• "All teachers have the capacity and responsibility to be leaders"
• "Leadership is a set of functions rather than a role"
When I look at these quotes, I realize that I have some work to do in my school as far as technology goes. I believe in integrating technology more than ever now that my master's program is done. I can see the benefits for the students as far as learning and expressing that learning, and the benefits for the teachers in the way that they can present information to the students. Technology can help with differentiation of content and process and can help teachers to assess learning in creative and meaningful ways.
Technology also allows learning to occur outside of the classroom. On-line learning modules can allow students to collaborate with their peers or with their teachers from the comfort of their home. Technology expands the walls of the classroom and allows students to visit places that they may not be able to do otherwise, speak to people that they may never meet in person, and create artifacts that will tap into their own strengths.
My goal to increase the use of technology into my classroom will take time and money. I will work closely with my administration to see if I can apply for grants or if there are other ways to gain new computers for my classroom. In the meantime, I will work with the four old computers that were given to me to start my "mini lab" and create stations in the room for students to learn how to use these digital tools to develop new and exciting artifacts to demonstrate the learning that is occurring in the classroom.
Reference: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Introduction to Teacher Leadership. Baltimore: Author.
A reflections page for my technology classes throughout the school year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment